This iRobot Roomba 870 Review will go into great depth to explain why this is such an awesome robot vacuum cleaner.
This robotic vacuum takes a significant step up from its predecessor, the Roomba 770. It uses an entirely new cleaning system which iRobot claims has 50% more cleaning power.
It also includes a brand new set of extractors which lifts dirt and debris off the floor significantly easier.
The new lithium ion battery will provide about double the amount of charging cycles over the previous version.
iRobot has put out an amazing unit with the Roomba 870 and we couldn’t be more pleased with its performance.
The Roomba 870 comes with a 1 year warranty from iRobot. There are also 2 and 3 year extended protection plans offered directly from Amazon.
Below we will break the 870 down and explain exactly what it does.
- The Roomba 870 has the familiar iRobot user interface with the buttons located right on the top of the unit. They allow you to program your 7 day schedule so that the robot vacuum knows when it should be operating.
- This vacuum cleaner is very versatile and does a phenomenal job at cleaning virtually any type of floor material. It’s able to easily clean carpet, hardwood, tile, laminate, and other surfaces. The 870 can seamlessly transfer between different types of floor surfaces and automatically adjusts once it detects a different floor material.
- iRobot vacuums that preceded this model all used a 3-stage cleaning system which consisted of agitation, brushing, and suction. The Roomba 870 is no different except it uses the new AeroForce 3-stage cleaning system. This system introduces a brand new set of debris extractors which replaces the brush used on prior models. These rubber rollers are able to remove dirt and debris far more efficiently than the old brush. This eliminates the need to free hair tangles or perform any maintenance on the brush.
- This unit also uses a second generation motor which provides up to 50% more cleaning performance and 5 times the power. In addition, iRobot claims that this new motor will require significantly less maintenance and longer life.
- As with other models, the 870 contains a spinning side brush that extends from underneath the vacuum. This brush gets into corners and other areas that the Roomba can’t get into due to its circular shape. This helps the robot vacuum to clean every nook and cranny.
- Like the 770, the 870 has a set of integrated optical and acoustic sensors to detect where dirt is located on the floor. The vacuum will automatically know to spend more time in these areas so that it can thoroughly clean them. iRobot refers to these sensors as Dirt Detect Series II technology.
- One of the best features of this robotic vacuum cleaner is its slim design. This allows it to get underneath furniture and beds to clean areas that we don’t always think of or simply can’t reach.
- The iAdapt Responsive Navigation System tells the Roomba 870 the location of any objects in the room. This ensures that the unit will vacuum in an efficient path and account for any objects in the way. It also tells the vacuum when it’s approaching a staircase or ledge so that it doesn’t go too far and topple over.
- Most iRobot models include a virtual wall infrared sensor so the user can create artificial boundaries for the Roomba to stay within. The 870 takes it a step further and includes 2 of these sensors so that the user can establish a very accurate area to be vacuumed. These are especially useful to keep the vacuum out of areas that may be cluttered with objects on the ground where the vacuum could potentially get hung up.
- Another significant improvement over prior models is the brand new lithium ion battery. Although it provides about the same battery life, it can withstand twice the amount of charging cycles of the previous models. This results in a substantial cost savings as the battery won’t have to be replaced nearly as often.
- When the 870 starts to run low on battery, it will automatically return to its charging dock where it will charge itself. It will then resume its vacuuming if it failed to finish before its battery was depleted.
- An indicator light on the top of the vacuum will alert the user when its time to empty the collection bin. Otherwise, the user just needs to periodically clean or replace the filter.
- The Roomba 870 measures 13.9″ in diameter by 3.6″ in height and weighs 8.4lbs.
Below is an in-depth review of the 870 after 1 month of use:
What People are Saying
85% of the reviews on Amazon have this item between 4 and 5 stars. Needless to say, people love everything this robot vacuum does for them.
People really enjoy not having to manually vacuum their homes and offices anymore. This unit does a spectacular job for them and they are very grateful for it.
Users state that using the robotic vacuum keeps their home clean on a continuous basis opposed to vacuuming every so often where dirt and debris accumulates over time.
Reviewers state that this unit is extremely quiet and makes significantly less sound than they were expecting or experienced with other models.
They also love how little maintenance this device requires. Emptying the collection bin takes a matter of seconds and when the house is being vacuumed every day, it doesn’t need to be emptied on a daily basis.
Pet owners have great appreciation for this vacuum since it has significantly reduced the amount of pet hair in their homes.
In addition, allergy sufferers have noticed reduced symptoms and have an easier time breathing.
People rave about this vacuum online and regret not purchasing it sooner.
We highly endorse this Roomba robotic vacuum.
It does an amazing job at cleaning all different types of flooring with its new rubberized extractors.
This vacuum provides a seamless and passive vacuuming experience for its user and allows them to live with clean floors with very little interjection.
We love everything this vacuum is capable of doing and its impressive track record.
The customer satisfaction rating on this robotic vacuum speaks volumes about how it performs.
If you’re considering buying an autonomous robot vacuum cleaner, make sure the Roomba 870 is at the top of your list!
We hope you enjoyed our iRobot Roomba 870 Review. Please feel free to share or leave comments below!