This iRobot Roomba 880 Review will explain exactly why this is one of the best robot vacuums you can buy.
The Roomba 880 is one of the latest products by iRobot and as expected, works even better than it’s predecessor the Roomba 770.
It also has 2 key benefits over its 800 series counterpart, the Roomba 870. The 880 comes with virtual lighthouses instead of virtual walls which allows for multi-room cleaning. In addition, this unit includes a remote control.
iRobot has managed to wow us again with all of the innovative features they’ve packed into this new unit.
Included with purchase is a 1 year warranty from iRobot. Amazon also has options for 2 and 3 year extended protection plans.
We highly recommend adding this unit to your list of potential robotic vacuums.
Now let’s have a look at what makes this robot vacuum so great.
- As with other Roombas, the 880 has buttons on the top of the unit to set its schedule or manually engage the cleaning process. It has the ability to be programmed for up to 7 days so that it can clean your home when you’re not there. This allows the robot vacuum to clean more efficiently since it doesn’t have to account for moving objects.
- The 880 also includes a remote control so that the unit can be controlled from a distance rather than having to access the top of the unit. The user also has the ability to manually control the Roomba and guide it into areas where it is needed. This is a convenient feature if you want to clean a particular area quickly as the robot won’t have to find the dirty areas on its own.
- The Roomba 880 is a very versatile machine and can clean many different types of floor surfaces. These include carpet, hardwood, tile, laminate, and many more. It also has the ability to move from one surface to another without a problem. It simply readjusts once it recognizes that its on a new flooring material.
- This robot vacuum utilizes a 3-stage cleaning system like prior models. These stages consist of agitation, brushing, and high powered suction. However, this unit uses the new AeroForce 3-stage system which includes a second generation motor that is capable of up to 50% more cleaning performance and 5 times more power that the first generation motor. It also introduces a brand new set of rubberized debris extractors that replace the brush used in prior models. iRobot claims that these rubber rollers are far more efficient and reduce the need to intervene due to tangled hair.
- The 880 includes the familiar spinning side brush that comes out from beneath the unit to access areas such as corners and moldings. The brush is necessary since the unit can’t get into some areas due to its circular design. The side brush gets whatever the Roomba unit cannot directly pass over.
- As with its predecessor, there are integrated optical and acoustic sensors to detect where there are high concentrations of dirt. This allows the 880 to efficiently and effectively spend its time on the areas that require it most. We love this feature as the unit is able to differentiate between clean and dirty areas in your home and adjust accordingly.
- At a height of only 3.6″ the Roomba 880 is able to get beneath most household objects such as furniture and bedding. It can access the areas that conventional vacuums simply cannot. This means less dirt accumulation and less potential for allergens to build up in unseen areas.
- This robot vacuum is able to map the objects in your household using its iAdapt Responsive Navigation System. This allows the vacuum to formulate an efficient path and account for anything that might be in its way. This system also communicates to the vacuum when it’s near stairs or a ledge to prevent it from falling over.
- The Roomba 880 has improved upon the virtual wall infrared sensors used in prior models. This unit now includes what iRobot refers to as virtual wall lighthouse devices. These devices contain the Roomba in certain rooms until they are clean before allowing them to enter another room. The included devices can control the Roomba in up to 3 different rooms. They can also be switched to virtual wall mode where they will prevent the Roomba from accessing rooms you don’t wish it to go into.
- The 880’s battery has been significantly improved over the 600 and 700 series models. It has the same approximate battery life but it is now able to endure twice as many charging cycles. This mean the battery will last much longer and require less maintenance that previous models.
- This robotic vacuum will automatically return to the charging station when it’s done with its scheduled cleaning or its running low on battery. If it has failed to complete its cleaning cycle before running out of battery, it will resume vacuuming once it is recharged.
- The only thing the user really needs to stay on top of is emptying the collection bin and cleaning/replacing the filter when needed. A light located on the top of the Roomba will tell you when it’s time to empty the bin. Fortunately, iRobot has included an extra HEPA filter with this robotic vacuum cleaner.
- The Roomba 880 measures 13.9″ in diameter by 3.6″ in height and weighs 8.4lbs.
Check out this analysis of the Roomba 880 below:
What People are Saying
85% of reviews on Amazon put this product at 4 to 5 stars. This says a lot about what people think of this robot vacuum cleaner.
They enjoy coming home to a clean house every day and only have to worry about emptying the bin. It frees up time to do things they’d rather be doing than vacuuming.
People enjoy the new virtual wall lighthouses for multi-room cleaning. They find this especially useful in larger areas where older Roombas had a hard time cleaning before running out of battery. This new system ensures that a room is clean before transferring to the next one.
Reviewers appreciate the quiet operation of this unit. There are reviews of people who leave this on while their children sleep and they don’t seem to be phased by it at all.
Many people regret not purchasing this unit earlier. Not only does it do a job they rather not be doing, it does a superior job since it cleans daily and accesses areas they haven’t cleaned in years.
People with allergies especially like this machine because it has significantly reduced their symptoms. The continuous cleaning limits the amount of allergens that build up in their homes.
Pet owners also love how the Roomba 880 effectively cleans up after pet hair on a continuous basis so that it never has time to accumulate.
There are countless reviews stating how maintenance free this robotic vacuum is. People say it takes mere seconds to empty the collection bin and inspect/replace the filter. It is a welcomed addition to their households.
We love everything about the iRobot Roomba 880. It is certainly one of the best robot vacuums available today.
Just when we thought the Roomba couldn’t get any better, iRobot has proven us wrong once again.
The addition of the virtual wall lighthouses and the remote control make this a much more attractive buy than the Roomba 870 model.
We love how iRobot has focused on multi-room cleaning with this new rendition and has addressed the concerns that people have noted with prior models.
The 880 does a much better job at ensuring one room is spotless before moving on to another room. This ensures that the vacuum doesn’t just do a mediocre job across a large area.
With that being said, we recommend saving some money and sticking with the 870 for smaller areas that don’t require multi-room control.
Appliance Savvy gives this robotic vacuum cleaner an unequivocal two thumbs up.
iRobot has outdone themselves once again. If you’re in the market for an automatic vacuum cleaner, the Roomba 880 should be right at the top of your list!
We hope you enjoyed our iRobot Roomba 880 Review. Please feel free to share or leave comments below!